Monday, July 26, 2010

Feeling Blessed

As I said on Facebook recently, I made the trip to WalMart on Saturday morning with the kids... 8 months pregnant pushing a double stroller and pulling a full cart. I got lots of comments on having cute kids, a question about where I got the stroller from anther twins' mom, lots of sympathetic looks, and even a "bless your heart."

I ended up in the same checkout line with the twins mom I had talked to earlier in the store. She had several other helpers with her, so we got to chat a few minutes. She asked how far along I made it before delivering the twins and was surprised when I said we had made it all the way to 9 months and they were perfectly healthy. Her story was quite different.

She was pregnant with triplets, and started going into labor at only 20 weeks. They held her off until 25 weeks at which point the babies are just barely viable outside the womb. She lost the little girl, but the two boys survived... staying in the hospital for more than 4 months. The two boys are now 17 months old, though I had guessed they were just 11 - 12 months old. She said one of them is still on breathing treatments at night, and they both are really far behind developmentally. They aren't really even crawling yet, and one had obvious eye problems.

Also last week, two of my friends from college, Tim and Amanda Allen, had their infant son (I think about 4 months old) undergo the second heart surgery of his young life. He is doing well today and they should be able to take him home by Thursday. Praise God for that!

I am constantly reminded of my blessings when I hear other's stories. I am already 36 weeks pregnant with Kellyn which gives her a great chance of being born at this point without any health issues. I have 2 healthy twins toddlers who are developmentally on track.

No matter the stresses in my life right now... I feel very blessed. God has been good to my growing family, and I pray for his blessings to continue.

No comments: