Monday, June 7, 2010

Weekend of Firsts

First Garage Sale
We had our first garage sale at our own house on Saturday. We'd done one up in Washington with some friends, but we hadn't done one on our own. When we called to place an ad in the paper, all the space was full. Because we're in a good location (1 block from 2 major streets), we didn't have a problem with lack of people anyway. Lots of people were out driving around looking for the sales because so many were listed in the paper. We had our first customers at 6:30 as we were pulling some tables onto the driveway. We had a steady flow until about 10:30. By then it was 100 degrees, and only 1 person came that half hour, so we closed up at 11 am... because it was just too hot. We were glad we hadn't posted times in the paper or anything.

We got rid of a lot of clutter we've collected over the years since we'd both left our parent's homes. Books, clothes, vases, baskets, candles, massage pads/tools etc. Our criteria was that if we hadn't used it in this house (3 years), it should go. Our storage rooms are no longer overflowing which was the goal since there's a baby on the way.

First Scorpion Sting
At the garage sale we sold ice cold bottled water and sodas to the hot customers (and made a profit too). The cooler was sitting by the kitchen table on Sunday morning, and Ryan flipped open the drain on it. Water gushed everywhere so I grabbed a couple towels by the back door that we use outside or when our dog is wet.

As I rearranged a towel to soak up the water, I felt a sting like I had a thorn in the palm of my hand... only it got worse and worse. I looked down and there was a scorpion. I screamed for Barry, who came and squashed it with a shoe as I continued to scream, "Ouch." It hurt a lot.

I ran my hand under cold water while Barry tried to look up what to do on the internet. We found some things, but weren't satisfied so we called the New Mexico poison control. The lady was very helpful telling us what symptoms in the next couple hours would indicate I needed to go to the hospital. Otherwise, you just clean it, and apply an antibiotic and cortisone cream to it. An ice pack helped keep the stinging away until it was at a manageable level. It still bothered me throughout the morning, but by the time we all woke up from our Sunday afternoon naps, I was fine.

The lesson is that clothing, bedspreads, and shoes need to be shaken out before being used at this time of year. Scorpions go find a new den about this time every year.

Ryan's Potty Training Successes
Sunday night before bed, after I'd already put on their pajamas and night time diapers, Ryan started pulling at his shorts. I put him on the toilet in my bathroom (with an insert), and he actually peed.

This morning after breakfast at 7 am, they both sat on the potty chairs. They'd both already wet their diapers just since waking up, so I didn't expect much. We put pullups on this time... and went on with the morning. I've been trying to take them to the potty about every hour, but it was about 8:30 when they both started to fuss. I took them both to the bathroom. Alyna had wet her pullup (which doesn't upset me at this stage at all), but Ryan was still dry.

Ryan peed in his little potty while Alyna sat on the big toilet. But then he reached inside and touched it... so we washed his hands before putting on the same Pullup he'd been wearing. I had to put the little potty chair on the back of the toilet while I got Alyna off the toilet and into a Pullup , and then could dump Ryan's pee.

This is one complication twins bring to the whole potty training exercise. They really like to sit on the big toilet, but always want to do it at the same time. And they always seem to want the same book during that time too.

Alyna's had quite a few near misses lately... a lot of times she'll tell me she needs to pee, but does it before we get her on the potty. Once this weekend, the flowers on her Pullup faded (to indicate wet) just 3 minutes after she got off the potty where she had sat for at least 5 minutes.

Ryan's favorite part of the potty is flushing the toilet, and waving "bye bye". Alyna's favorite part is getting to wash her hands afterward.

1 comment:

Kerbe Lee said...

We had a large (3-4 inches head to tail) scorpion in our cabin one morning in Honduras. It quickly was no more but made us check shoes, beds, clothes, etc. carefully from then on.