Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Shopping season

We don't need back to school stuff, and we're not into the holiday season yet... so how come it seems like I've done more online shopping this week than in the past year.

Well, probably because we have 4 birthdays in one month.

As a friend of mine would say, today marks the 1st anniversary of 29th year. He he he... that means I'm 30. My mom always said she was never ashamed to tell her age because she has friends who didn't make it that far... and I feel the same way. I can name several friends from college who have already passed on to Heaven. So I feel blessed to have my life as it is; stress and all.

For my birthday, I got to go to a movie by myself, although it didn't end up as such. The movie and showtime I picked just happened to be the same movie the youth minister's wife was taking some of the teen girls to see. The youth group boys had gone to see some fellow groupies race (I think motocross) in another city, so the girls were having an outing too. It was good to get out, and run into friends along the way.

We also finally purchased our new computer. We were going to make the purchase last spring, but put it off when we found a great deal on a bedroom furniture set. Our new computer has a blue-ray disc player (also will play our current DVDs), and a high definition video card. The plan is to hook it up to our LCD television and cancel our satellite plan. These days you can watch all the programs for free on the internet with even few commercials. We are watching so little TV these days because it's mostly after the kids go to bed, that we think it will be better. If we do this for even 10 months, we'll actually pay for the computer in our satellite savings.

I've also been buying a few little necessities for the kids as they grow. Our WalMart tends to run out of the good stuff pretty fast, and there are very limited shopping options in our town. After the twins were born we purchased the Amazon.com prime shipping plan, so we get free 2 day shipping on a lot of items.

The twins birthday presents are in boxes sitting in our dining room. It's very hard not to open them and begin the play now... but we'll at least wait until Grandma gets here the week before their birthdays. We got them a water play table (like a sandbox table, but for water), and a 6 foot long tunnel to crawl through. We're excited even if they are too young to comprehend the reason for celebration.

Barry's birthday is on the same day as the twins in just a few weeks... and he's going to purchase the rest of the controls and technology pieces he needs to build himself an arcade machine. He gets to use our current computer to run the system, and has already downloaded all the old atari, arcade, nintendo, etc. system games. It's been his pet project over a year now, and we're finally putting it in the budget as his gift.

I'm almost done with the shopping... I'm currently reading reviews on car seats to buy. So if you have any good/bad reviews to share, let me know. When we take road trips, they are long ones so we want them to be comfortable.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Thought I'd throw my two cents in on the carseat front. Graco has a new seat that rear faces until 40 pounds and harnesses to 65. Since they are safer the longer they can be rear facing, this a fabulous option. They are the MyRide65 or something like that. B is about to outgrow his in weight and there is no way I want him in a booster seat this early, so we are saving up to get the Graco Nautilis. It doesn't rear face, but harnesses to 65 and then is two booster seat options. The longer they are rear facing, then harnessed, the safer they are. Both seats have really great reviews. We've had Graco seats since the beginning and loved them.