Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Project Pacifier - Night 1

Last night went better than expected with Project "No More Pacifier".

Ryan went to bed without even needing the pacifier, which he sometimes does anyway. If he wants it he whines/cries with a "neh" sound. I woke him up for a 10:30 pm feed, and he again went to sleep without needing it. He slept right through Alyna's 30 minute crying session at 3 am.

Side Note: Alyna has gas pains really bad every night about that time. We've been trying GasX at bedtime, the late night feed, and when she wakes up... but she still wakes up almost exactly 5 hours after the late night feed, and you can hear the gas problems she's having. It usually lasts 15 - 20 minutes. If anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Back to Ryan...

I awoke at 4:30 to find them both crying... not fun, especially since I was alone. So I calmed her down because I knew she'd probably be easier. Then I went to Ryan. Alyna cried a little more, but I just had to let her go, and she eventually went back to sleep. I did "pick up put down" with Ryan for about 30 minutes. My back and hip were hurting greatly. He finally settled down. I returned to bed, and 5 mintues later I heard him moan, and then cry. I got out of bed, but by the time I got into the room he'd returned to sleep. I usually make myself count to 5 while their crying before I get up, so I resolved to do that the next time. He cried again 10 minutes later, I counted to 5, and he went back to sleep. He did that a couple more times before I drifted off to sleep.

I was in the middle of a dream, when I awoke at 5:45 to hear both of them talking. I knew it meant they were awake and wanting to eat because it had been over 7 hours. They cry loudly when they awake and want to go back to sleep, they talk when they're hungry. So I quickly went and made bottles. By the time I got them made, both were crying loudly to make sure they were being heard. I took the bouncy chairs into their room and set them in front of the recliner, and I sat on the floor in between the chairs to feed them. My hip was really hurting now. I think I need to go to the Chiropractor or get a massage this week.

After eating, both went back to sleep without a fuss. It was about 6:15, and I was hoping for another half hour of sleep. Ryan woke up right at 7 am, so I was happy.

All in all, I was pleased he only had one episode last night. I can expect the same tonight probably, but Barry is home to help if Alyna is crying at the same time. That is the hardest part for me, when they are both crying.

1 comment:

April said...

Hope you guys are able to get some sleep! Sounds like life is busy. He, he. Josiah phased himself out of using a paci at 4 months old; Mackenzie, on the other hand, needed hers until she was 2 3/4 years old. I think each child differs in personality and in what needs (including oral sucking) they have and at what age they have completed that phase. Good luck with whatever decision you make! Your two babies are adorable!