Saturday, February 21, 2009

first bedtime stories

At 7 o'clock last night I was trying to think of a way to entertain the 2 munchkins at least another 15 minutes, so they wouldn't have bedtime much before 7:30. Barry wouldn't be home until 7:40, so it was just me.

We'd already had the night time feed, had been playing for about an hour with their various toys, and had gone through the half hour songs DVD they love so much. So I decided to try to read them some books.

I got the bouncy chairs set right up next to the couch so I could sit there an show both of them the pictures. I should have known better... When other people are holding them at Ladies Bible Class or Church and showing them a book, I always have to say, "they like to touch it."

Ryan was immediately fussy upon seeing the Bible story book because he couldn't reach it. Alyna kept looking at the book and then over at Ryan to see what the fuss was.

So I decided to try to get them in my lap. I put the next book down on the couch within reach, picked Ryan up from the bouncy seat, and laid him next to me on the couch so that his legs were over my leg. Then I picked Alyna up and set her sitting up on my other leg, with my arm wrapped around her. I managed to pull Ryan up with one arm into a sitting position on my leg, and even managed to reach over and grab the book. I was holding the book with both hands in front of them. It seemed to be working. Ryan was touching, and Alyna was looking and listening.

After a while Alyna reached out for the book, and Ryan's hand reached over and grabbed hers. I'm not kidding. He was upset that she wanted to touch it. They are only 5 months old. He did this repeatedly, and I finally gave up after the second time through "Goodnight Moon."

I put the book down, put my hands under their legs, and stood up. Yes, both of them were in my arms. It's not fun, but I've done it before when they were already up at arm level. I carried them to the bedroom, and laid them in Ryan's crib so I could get them ready for bed one at a time.

At this point it was 7:15 which is what I was aiming for. I don't think we'll try that again tonight though. I'll have to read them stories separately unless Daddy is here to help.

No comments: