Monday, September 8, 2008

The final ultrasound...

The ultrasound today showed two healthy, but cramped, babies.

The bad news... both babies are still breech. Alyna's bottom is down instead of her head. Both are pretty much laying sideways across my belly. Ryan's head is by my right rib, and his bottom is by my left rib. My ribs are feeling quite sore these days. And there's just not really room for them to flip around at this point.

But both are growing at a normal rate, and are looking great. They still have plenty of fluid around them, and have strong heart and lung functions.

The technician gave me the disclaimer that as the babies get bigger, the estimates of size and weight actually get less accurate from the ultrasound machine. But Ryan was estimated to weigh 5 1/2 pounds. Alyna's legs were hidden so it would not estimate her weight, but her other measurements were actually slightly larger than Ryan's. So we can assume she's about the same weight. The technician said she thought they were good sizes for twins who typically run smaller than single babies.

We're on the hospital schedule for a c-section next week. I can't wait to meet my babies.

1 comment:

April said...

Woohoo! Sounds like a wonderful report, other than the breech part. I can only imagine just how sore your ribs are. Mine were very sore with only one baby at a time. Bless your heart! One more week! I know you must be ready to meet these precious bundles. I am so thankful for every week in utero for those twins. Way to go, Momma! :) I love the names you have chosen. Perfect. Now I'm looking forward to hearing all about the section and seeing pics of these two babies. :) Know that we are praying for you and the babies.