Wednesday, September 10, 2008

5 year goals... that took 6 years

They say that you are more likely to achieve something if you state it or write it as a goal. I was thinking back, and realizing that Barry and I have achieved many of our goals recently. Even if it did take a little longer than we'd thought, we are there.

6 years ago, September was a big month in our lives.

We had fallen in love over the summer, and I knew we were in a serious relationship when he bought me a diamond necklace for my birthday at the end of August. So one day, early in September, we were sitting on my couch talking and I asked him where he wanted to be in 5 years. I had just turned 23, and he was about to turn 24 that month.

He replied that he wanted to have a good job that had career opportunities (probably not in the Navy), have a house, and probably a couple of kids. I asked him if he was going to have those kids on his own, and he said he'd be married too.

My answer was that I wanted to be married with probably one child and be able to stay home with that child. I thought that two kids in that time frame probably wouldn't happen.

There were some other parts to the conversation... that led to our discussing getting married. We were officially engaged on September 11, 2002 and were married the following January.

...Fast forward 6 years...

Barry has a really good career that has lots of opportunity to move up, and is not with the Navy. We are married, have a house, have a dog, and I will officially be a stay at home mom when our twins are born next week.

Okay, so it's didn't happen in 5 years, but it just shows that it's good to share your goals for life with your spouse. It's much easier to get there when you are doing it together.

No comments: