Monday, September 19, 2011

big kids now

It's very different only having one toddler, even though I still have twin 3 year olds. With Ryan and Alyna I always worried they would take off in different directions and one would get hurt. With just one toddler I can keep an eye on her more closely, and her siblings are now old enough to know what they should and shouldn't do. That doesn't mean they don't often need assistance or supervision, but it's at a different level.

Kellyn is walking all over the place, and falling often right now. She's testing her balance and strength daily. She now giggles and eagerly complies when I put her shoes on because she knows we're going outside or away from home. She's always eager to go out that door. S

Alyna and Ryan are acting a lot more like preschoolers now and have lost that toddler look altogether. I'm working with them a few times a week with worksheet pages on colors, shapes, patterns, etc. They love when Mommy is the teacher and we do "school" at the big table. Last week we got out a bucket of coins and counted pennies and quarters. They liked playing with the "moneys".  We also use some online educational tools for preschoolers. I also use their toys to have them find things of certain colors and shapes. Their newest favorite activity is painting with water colors. They actually don't make as many messes with it as I was expecting, aside from the occasional spilled water cup.

We recently visited my cousin's family in Keller, TX, and my brother's family in Austin, TX. It was a wonderful trip, and also very tiring. The kids loved playing with their cousins all week, and Ryan didn't even want to come home.

The smell of fall is in the air as the temperatures are finally starting to cool off, at least at night. It's wonderful to be able to play outside with the kids without worrying so much about the heat. I'm looking forward to the fall as it gets physically easier to take the 3 on outings since Kellyn is walking now. It is such a blessing to watch my kids grow and explore their world.

No comments: