Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Like a big boy


At about 8 am this morning, 30 minutes after breakfast, Ryan followed me down the hallway into the kitchen fussing and pulling on his shirt. Lately he's been pulling on his shirt a little before he wants a diaper change.

As I picked him up I said, "do you need to potty?" He continued to fuss, and I felt his diaper and he wasn't wet yet. So I took him into our 1/2 bath by the living room, took off his jeans and his diaper and set him on the potty chair.

3 minutes later he leaned forward to grab a new book, and then he leaned forward to stand up. I reached to grab him as he stood up afraid he would pee on the floor, but he had already peed in the seat.

Hooray!

For only about 3 days now we've been sitting them on the potty chairs for about 5 minutes when they wake up in the morning. This morning when I got them out of the cribs at 6:45 this morning I didn't do it right away, and he got really fussy to get out the door. We didn't know why he was fussing. By the time I changed their diapers, clothes, and we made it to the potty chairs they both had peed in their clean diapers. That'll teach me.

This is all from what I read in the "Baby Whisperer" book that I've gone to for advice since they were born. She actually recommends starting this kind of low pressure potty training at 9 months old, but we were taking long vacations at 10 months, and 12 months old... plus there are two of them. So I waited until they were walking, and we were back from vacation.

It's low pressure. We will still wear diapers and not worry about wetting diapers. We won't worry about it when we go out... but when they give the signs at home, we will use the potty chairs. I also bought the smallest potty chairs I could find because of their size, and they work great. It's the baby bjorn "little potty". They both have been sitting on them to read books since we got them before their birthday. Now they love to play in the bathroom with them.

What a milestone this is! I'm so proud of Ryan.

1 comment:

April said...

I enjoyed the baby whisperer ideas, too, though I just picked out whichever ideas worked best for us. Congratulations to Ryan! (And to you.) ;)