Saturday, October 24, 2009

roller coaster day

Today was a very moody day. I don't mean I was moody, the day was moody. One minute would be filled with joy and 20 minutes later everything had moved past frustrating.

The twins didn't sleep well... for whatever reason. We were up several times with them. Then Ryan woke up at 6:45, I changed his diaper, but he didn't go back to sleep. He soon woke Alyna up too, and I got them out of bed at 7:30. This wouldn't be that bad except that we are suppossed to have moved our time schedules 1/2 hour in preparation for the time change. Bedtime is 8 pm so wake up time should be closer to 7:30. So I had two happy, playful kids who didn't get enough sleep the night before.

They played, ate pancakes for breakfast, played some more, and watched a short video while I did dishes.

The highlight of the morning was inspired by my watching Alyna playing. She opened a cloth book and placed it on top of her head. It gave me the thought to go get out my hat collection from the hall closet. We spent a giggly 15 minutes putting on all different hats on each others heads. Ryan especially liked to try on all the different hats and walk around the room. Yes, they were women's hats... but I didn't take pictures, and he doesn't know the difference.

I gave them a snack and we continued to play inside because it is a windy day today and I wasn't sure what the temperature was.

We ate lunch right at noon, but Alyna actually fell asleep in her high chair about half-way through eating just as I finished preparing my own lunch. I tried to keep her awake to eat more, but she was in a deep sleep. Ryan was fussy too and had stopped eating, so I took both of them to their cribs. (not having eaten even a bite of the hot food on my plate)



It took 20 minutes of crying to get him to go to sleep. He had a cold 2 weeks ago and couldn't sleep lying down very easily so we held him a lot to get him to sleep. Now he thinks that should be standard procedure, and we've been fighting for a week to get him to soothe himself to sleep again. Too bad Grandma isn't here...

I reheated and ate my lunch, and then went to bed to try to take a short nap.

He woke up after an hour (I slept about 20 minutes), and thankfully Alyna slept for the 15 minutes it took to get Ryan back to sleep. Then I took my shower, and Alyna woke up just as I finished dressing and brushing my wet hair. I estimate she slept about 1 hour 45 minutes, which is good. Ryan slept a little longer for a nap of about an hour and 20 minutes. This means he'll be cranky this evening for sure.

I put them back in their high chairs after nap because neither one had eaten much. Then we played outside for about 45 minutes, and are now playing inside and eating an afternoon snack.

When they are happy it is a fun age... when they are not happy it is a frustrating age. And they aren't even 2 yet!

No comments: