Thursday, March 12, 2009

Rough night

The twins have been doing really well at night lately. I usually wake them to feed at 11 pm, and then they will usually sleep until around 5 am before waking up. I'll change their diapers and coax them back to sleep. They'll make it until between 6:30 and 7:30 before waking up hungry for their morning bottle.

Alyna slept very peacefully all night. I woke her up for the dream feed, she went back to sleep easily, and I didn't hear anything from her until 7:12 this morning.

But last night was still rough on Mommy...

Ryan is teething and had a snotty nose so he couldn't manage to sleep for more than 2 hours without waking up. I'm not sure whether the snotty nose and watering eyes are due to the teething or to all the other snotty nosed kids in the cradle roll class last Sunday morning. Either way, he had trouble breathing laying down. He also had a rough day of fussiness and not eating very much.

He went to bed fairly easily at 7:20 pm, but woke at 8:45 crying. He hasn't been needing his pacifier much, but I've given it to him several times recently when I can tell he doesn't feel well. It soothes him to suck on something. He awoke again at 9:30, and I put the pacifier back in his mouth. I could hear him having trouble breathing while sucking on it, so I got him up, and sucked the junk out of his nose with the aspirator. Of course, this induced more crying which didn't stop until after I changed his diaper and picked him back up. He seemed to go to sleep easily when I laid him back down. But 25 minutes later he was crying again because he kept choking on the mucus draining down his throat. So I took him into the guest room where I have one of the swings. He slept much better in the swing because it is sitting up slightly.

I got him out at 11 for the feed, and put him back in the crib to sleep. He woke again at 1:25, and I could see that it just wasn't working for him to lie flat so he went back in the swing. He woke about every hour and a half in the swing and I would go in and put the pacifier in his mouth again. That's the game we're trying not to play with him, but when he's not feeling well it is hard to deny him something that helps.

Hopefully the tooth/teeth will come in soon and this will pass.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

It sounds more cold, less teeth. Braedon's eyes have never watered during teething, nor has his nose run that much. Keep an eye on it, because it's still RSV season and it could go into something else. (Pneumonia and bronchiolitis are the two we ended up with.) Either way, give him some Tylenol before bed and that will help with teeth or overall ickies. Humidifiers are a life saver, as well as standing with him in a closed bathroom that has the shower running full blast on hot. I think there was about a week that Braedon slept in the swing and I slept on the couch. I would turn it on whenever he stared to fuss, give him his paci, and then go back to "bed." You do what you have to do!

And I too love the "Mine" scene from Finding Nemo!