Sunday, March 1, 2009

A long line of love...

Our life group has been watching a video series on marriage called "Lord of the Rings", and it has been a great experience. We watched the final video today, and even though Barry was at work, I took away something special from it.

I come from a long line of love. Neither my parents nor my grandparents were divorced. They were committed to each other throughout their lives even when times were difficult.

I specifically thought of my Dad's mom, Nanny. She cared for her husband for many years after he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. I always thought of it as just Nanny refusing help from others once again, but today I thought about what a labor of love it must have been. Day after day, as his memory faded, and his physical strength diminished she carried him through. She fed him, cleaned him, and was his companion to the end.

I would like to say thank you to all the people in my family who have shown me what a Christian marriage should be. It's never perfect, and it's never easy. It is full of love, and full of God.

It is my goal that my grandchildren would also be from a long line of love. I want them to say, "My grandparents still love each other." I want them to have the legacy that teaches them what a Christian marriage is. I pray that Barry and I can give them that.

No comments: