Monday, December 8, 2008

Music fills the air

My babies love music... is it really a surprise?

I've been singing to them since before they were born, and I continue to sing to them every day. We even had the IPod going in the hospital, and it still plays lullabies at night in their bedroom.

Most days we have about 20 minutes at some point during the day where they are both awake and happy, and I sing songs and do hand motions. They actually have pretty good attention spans.

I had been helping out in the cradle roll class at church while I was pregnant so I could learn a bunch new songs. So I sing to them about the days of creation, and after each day I sing them songs about things made on that day.

Day 1 - songs about God making light...
Day 2 - songs about clouds floating and rain falling, "Wise Man Built His House Upon a Rock"
Day 3 - songs about trees and flowers
Day 4 - about God making the big round sun, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star God has placed you where you are...
Day 5 - songs about fish swimming, and birds flying
Day 6 - songs about frogs and other animals, and songs about God making "me" and "I am special", songs about our eyes, ears and other parts

Then we sing the ABC's, and whatever other songs I feel like singing. I'm hoping this will help them feel comfortable in the cradle roll class once they can sit up.

I also use the song "O Be Careful Little Eyes" to give them their baths. During the eyes, I wash their face and top of their head. For Ears, I wash behind their ears and the back of their head. Mouth, I wash their mouth, chin, and neck. Hands, I wash their arms and stomach. Feet, I wash their legs. Then I turn them over and wash their backs as quickly as possible and then pull them out.

They also love things that play music, like their swings and their crib mobiles. They stay entertained for 5-15 minutes by these, which gives Mommy time to attend to their sibling.

We also have Mr. Blueberry. Ryan never liked having his diaper changed until one day I reached over and grabbed a blue teddy bear we'd received as a present. Mr. Blueberry, as we've named him, has a wind up that plays "Lullaby and Goodnight" while his head moves side to side. Ryan loves it when Mr. Blueberry sings to him, and Ryan talks back to the bear too. Alyna would prefer Mommy to sing to her.

I'm glad they love music, because it's a special blessing from God for His creation.

1 comment:

Delores Lee said...

I'm back in the nursery now doing a Mimi routine. Maybe I can join the song fest some time when I'm out there at Christmas. Certainly hope Ryan is feeling better.

Love you lots.