Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Growth Spurt Madness

Alyna has been having a growth spurt the past couple days... and yesterday was just awful at some points. She wants to eat a full meal every 2 hours, instead of 3, and screams her head off until I give in. And yes, this really is hunger, because I've become really good at reading their messy diaper and tired/fussy cues.

I think it wouldn't be nearly as difficult to manage if she weren't a twin. The rule I try to follow is that when one eats, then the other eats. Otherwise I end up feeding someone every hour of the day... and night... and that just doesn't work. I did that one night last week when Alyna got off Ryan's schedule by an hour and a half. So I woke every hour to feed someone, all night long.

Monday, she wanted to eat every 2 to 2 1/2 hours. I managed to keep Ryan on that schedule too, and he didn't seem to mind.

Monday night, she woke every 2 to 2 1/2 hours to eat, so Mommy didn't get much sleep, but Ryan stayed on Alyna's schedule.

Tuesday, I gave up keeping Ryan on her schedule... and this is why:

6:30 am - Alyna wakes to feed... 2 1/2 hours from start of the last feed -- feed Alyna, feed Ryan, and fortunately they both go right back to sleep
8:30 - I get ready and pump milk to take to ladies bible class with me
9:05 - leave for ladies bible class
9:20 - Karen, the preacher's wife feeds Alyna 3 oz of pumped milk
9:30 - I feed Ryan (class is starting)
10:30 - class is over and both get diaper changes and go to sleep
11:00 - Alyna starts getting fussy, so I decide to skip the luncheon and just go home
11:15 - I get home but both are asleep so I eat lunch
11:30 - Alyna wakes up hungry - so Ryan goes in the swing while I feed Alyna
12:00 - Alyna goes in swing while I feed Ryan
1:30 - Alyna is hungry again... so I feed her
2:00 - feed Ryan to keep him on her schedule
2:30 - Alyna is still hungry... grrrrrrrrr - she eats for another 15 mintues
3:30 - Alyna is screaming her head off because she's still hungry... I call Barry and tell him to make sure he comes straight home after work instead of going to get diapers, because I need a break
3:45 - feed Alyna for 25 minutes... forget about keeping Ryan on schedule with Alyna for now
4:30 - Barry gets home... thank goodness
5:15 - feed Ryan (he last ate at 2:30)
5:45 - I get out of the house to buy diapers, formula, and dinner
6:15 - I get back home, and Alyna is fussy because she's hungry again
6:30 - we've decided to supplement Alyna with a bottle of formula for this feeding this evening. She eats 3 oz (I had prepared 4 oz in case she just needed bigger meals, but she stopped at 3)
8:15 - feed Ryan who is still on the 3 hour schedule
8:45 - feed Alyna (back to nursing)
9:30 - both babies are asleep in the crib, so Mommy goes to bed

The night time feedings were actually all 3 hours apart and both stayed on the same schedule... thank goodness. Maybe that was the tail end of her growth spurt... I hope.

3 comments:

April said...

Whew, that makes me tired just reading it. It is fun to be so in touch with growth spurts in a way that only breastfeeding allows. I breastfed both my kids, but cannot imagine the exhaustion of feeding twins! Hang in there.

Nicole said...

Braedon did this same thing at 3 weeks. One was bad enough, so I couldn't imagine trying to manage it with two. Eeeesh. You are my hero.

Delores Lee said...

Tell them Grandma said they both have to grow at the same time. I'm sure they will listen to me. :) I love you so very much!