Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Boston Adventure: Part 1

We left the house at 7:30 in the morning and with the time change driving into Texas, checking bags, diaper changes, feeding Kellyn, and going through security, we barely made it onto our 11:30 am flight to Dallas.

Security was by far the toughest part of the trip both ways, but not because of the newest measures we've been hearing about. It was just tough to get shoes off, bags off, Kellyn out of her carrier, the twins out of their stroller, walking through the metal detector, calling the kids to follow me, and then putting everything back together again. It took 15 minutes just for us to go through. They also tested the breast milk bottles I had in Midland, but didn't seem to care about them in Boston. What does that tell you about the security?

As we walked onto the small airplane, Ryan realized Daddy hadn't come with us and started crying his name. Everyone on the plane seemed to think this was very sweet. I pulled out his monkey cuddley, and a new Lightning McQueen matchbox car for him... and he seemed to forget everything else. That Lightning McQueen stayed attatched to his hand all week long. Alyna got a new My Little Pony and several new coloring books for the trip. She was also glad I brought her baby doll and her "Find Elmo" book for her to look at.

Alyna sat in the single seat by the window by herself and I sat across the aisle from her next to Ryan. They both did very well and Kellyn slept pretty much the whole time. I got a can of juice from the flight attendant to split between their two sippy cups.

We had a lunchtime layover in Dallas so we went to the McDonalds where they also have a few toys for the kids to climb in/over. They didn't actually eat anything, so I just packed up their nuggets and took them to the next flight with me.

The 4 hour flight to Boston was as good as it could be. A nice lady named Jennifer helped me down the ramp and to our seats with the kids. They kept trying to sit in available seats as we'd walk by them, but we were at the back of the plane. Jennifer said she had 2 small children of her own (though not with her) and if I needed any help to let her know. During the takeoff, I fed Kellyn a bottle and changed her diaper, then passed her to Jennifer when we were in the air. She held Kellyn for over an hour because she fell asleep. I put "Mater's Tall Tales" on the IPod for the kids to watch, and Alyna fell asleep. Ryan actually watched Mater twice through and then got down on the floor to play with his cars. Everyone was willing to help watch the kids for a minute while I took a trip to the restroom, and took Alyna potty too.

At the end of the flight Kellyn was flirting with the older gentleman on the aisle a row behind me. When Ryan started acting up and not wanting to sit in his seatbelt, I asked if he would hold her. He gladly accepted, and even sang, "Old McDonald had a turtle?" to her and put her to sleep. He held her for the landing, and I could keep Ryan entertained and in his seat.



It was after 7 pm (EST)when we met up with Aunt Krista and Uncle Adam in the Boston airport. We got our luggage, went to dinner, and almost immediately upon arriving at their house started putting the kids to bed. At this point Ryan started pointing to the door saying, "bye-bye" repeatedly. After that long day he wanted to be home.

No comments: