Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Senses

On an episode of the twins new favorite show, "Chuggington", Koko's headlight burns out while driving at night. She has to use her sense of smell, hearing, and touch to find her way to the right place. I thought it was a very cute lesson about our senses.

While sitting outside the other day, I started thinking more about the story because I was smelling the spring freshness in the air. I could feel the warmth of the sun on my skin, and hear the birds singing their beautiful song. I saw two squirrels chasing each other up and down a tree, and heard our dog Henrey bark as he tracked their scent along the ground. I saw a big smile on my daughter's face as she slid down the slide, and heard her brother's "vroom" as he pushed his dump truck along the ground.

God gave us so many ways to experience this world. How wonderfully creative our Father must be that he not only gave flowers beautiful colors, but also wonderful smells. Not only can we feel the coolness of a babbling brook on our bare feet, but we can hear it trickling along.

When you use all of your senses to enjoy the world, you can truly experience the fullness of his creation.

1 comment:

Kerbe Lee said...

Lovely images...I like to imagine God took ideas from Jesus or even the angels for all the intricate beauties of nature. In his omniscience I think there are times when he doesn't choose to know. He may have used that in creating, allowing others to be creative as well.