Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Our Retreat Begins

Barry and I made it up to the Winter Park resort in about an hour and a half yesterday afternoon. The only hiccup in the drive was a place about 5 miles away on the 2-lane mountain road where a fire engine was cleaning up the mess from a car that skidded off into the snow built up on the side of the road. We only waited about 5 minutes though.

Our hotel is at the edge of the resort village so it is about 1/3 mile from the actual slopes. It has a cabriolet that takes you right to the heart of the village in less than 3 minutes (or you can ride the shuttle that runs about every 15). The cabriolet is like a ski lift but has large baskets (like hot air ballons) that you stand up in during the ride. You get a great sky view of the mountains and resort village.

Our studio hotel room has a couch, arm chair, fireplace, queen size murphy bed, tv, table and 4 chairs, and a small kitchenette. I'll be able to eat sandwiches and soups in the room while Barry is out skiing.

Last night we took the cabriolet over and got fitted for his rental equipment. Since we rented slope-side they store the skis and poles for him. This morning we handed them the ticket and got the skis very quickly... after a quick breakfast at the Starbucks.

We walked over to the slopes (about a football field away) and found the place for his lessons to start. It looked like there is only one other person with him and his instructor, so he should learn a lot today. He'll be on his own tomorrow... I sure wish I could be out there with him. We just decided it wasn't worth the risk at this point. Maybe next year...

If I find a USB cord in Barry's bag I'll post a picture later... he hates that I took pictures...but what else am I going to do?

I brought 4 novels with me. We slept great last night... and yes, I even brought my huge pregnancy body pillow with me. I look forward to relaxing, and not changing any diapers for the next 3 days.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

I just saw your news in the sidebar--congratulations!

Have a great (and hopefully nausea-free) vacation!